Sunday, April 14, 2013

Cauliflower Bread Buns


Lately I have really fallen in love with CAULIFLOWER! Which is so funny because I used to hate it so much. There was something about its look and taste that just made me feel and think YUCK! But what is even funnier is that I absolutely love broccoli. It always confused me how I could love one and hate the other of two very similar looking vegetables.



Somehow I got past my disgust and decided to explore cooking with the vegetable. I firmly believe every fruit and vegetable tastes good if you prepare it the right way. The past few weeks I began exploring different recipes with cauliflower. I found that my two most favorite so far have been Cauliflower Bread Buns and Cauliflower rice. MMmmmh, just talking about this is making me so hungry! I got the inspiration for the cauliflower bread buns recipe from Live Right, Be Healthy. You should check out her blog, she has some really good recipes.

As with most of my recipes, this is really simple and easy to make. The most "annoying" part would be the grating of the cauliflower. But after that its all super easy.

Yields 6 Bread Buns
What you will need:

  • 1/2 Large Cauliflower Head
  • 3 tbsp Rolled Oats
  • 1 tbsp Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1-2 Garlic Cloves
  • 1 tsp dry parsley
  • 1 tsp dry basil
  • Pinch of Salt and Pepper
  • 1 tbsp Pumpkin Seeds (Optional)
  • 2-3 tbsp goat cheese/mozzarella (cut or grated) (Optional)
For Golden brown touch:
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp Olive Oil


How to make it:
  1. Preheat the oven at 200°C/400°F.
  2. Grate the cauliflower. Use only the florets of the cauliflower and not too much of the stalk. You can grate using either a grater, food processor, or bit by bit with a blender.
  3. Combine the grated Cauliflower with all the ingredients. Mix it well.
  4. Line your baking tray with parchment paper and very very lightly grease it.
  5. Form 6 beautiful flat rounds of the mix on the prepared baking tray. And Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until your buns look like they are not full of moisture.
  6. Whilst in the oven. Mix together the 1 egg and tablespoon of olive oil.
  7. When you buns are baked to the point were they are not full of moisture; Brush the egg and olive oil mixture on top and bake for another 5 minutes or until golden brown.
  8. When your buns are ready. Remove them from the baking tray and allow them to cool on a cooling rack. This step is very important so that they don't get mushy.
You can store these in the fridge for several days or cook a large batch and store in the freezer.

I like to use these Bread Buns as a side with my salad, soup, or for my veggie burgers. It's so so yummy! I hope you enjoy it. Its a nice healthy alternative to bread just to mix things up sometimes ;).

Let me know how you like it :)

Also if you have Instagram, follow me @SomekindofConcoction
And if you like this recipe comment and share it to let me know ;).

Thank you!

Xx

Rati

No comments:

Post a Comment