Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Baked Butternut Squash Salad






 Man this salad was so good! I remember growing up I used to hate butternut squash for some weird reason. If my mum made it, I would make something else for myself to eat. Then I think one day I had butternut squash soup and my world was changed forever (exaggeration much?!!)

I bought the ingredients to this recipe fresh from the market near my house. That weekend, I also went exploring around Amsterdam. You can watch video of my weekend here.



This recipe is a good classic baked vegetable classic in salad form. Its so simple to make (I try to keep my recipes that way), but its also so tasty (I also like to make sure of that too :D ).


Serves: 2 (or 1 hungry person. No judgement here :D )

  • 350 grams cubed butternut squash
  • 130 grams green beans
  • 1 small red onion
  • 1 medium/large carrot
  • 200 grams eggplant (optional)*
  • 1-2 handfuls of your favorite garden greens.
  • 1-2 tbsp olive oil
  • Spices of choice(I used black pepper and basil)
  • 2 tbsp dried goji berry mix (or any dried fruit) (optional)*
  • 2 tbsp almonds (optional)*



Wash all your veggies clean
Preheat oven to 425F/220C/7 gas mark
Peel and Chop the butternut squash and carrot (and eggplant*) into small cubes
Slice the onion into half rings
Cut the green beans in half and remove the stems
Mix all the vegetables in a bowl with the olive oil and spices
Tumble the vegetables on a foil covered baking sheet. Try not to crowd them.
Bake for 30-35 minutes. Turning them once and rotating the pan once until golden brown. (Keep an eye on it!)
Prepare the lettuce. Toss on the veggies and mix in the almonds* and goji berry mix*
Serve.




I forgot to shop up my eggplant to put in the oven to roast with the rest. But it was still good regardless.

Let me know if you try it out. Or if you have suggestions of what else you would add in this.

Enjoy!

Xx

Rati :)


No comments:

Post a Comment