Sunday, July 21, 2013

Summer Goodies: Giant Fluffy Pancake



One of the best things about warmer weather is brighter colored food. Wonderful summer fruits are available all over. I've recently become blueberry obsessed. I LOVE THEM! I found a street vendor in New York who sells a box for $1 ONLY!!! I am going to hunt him down on Monday and buy half his stand of blueberries. Blueberries are so expensive in the Netherlands compared to New York so every time I see them in the store I buy them.

So of course since so many yummy summer fruits are in season I have to include them in some kind recipe. I tried this recipe towards the end of spring when the sun was beginning shine a little more brightly and feel a lot warmer.

This recipe is known as a "Dutch Baby". Such a funny name. But I would rather call it a Giant Fluffy Pancake. It sounds more fun that way. I love this recipe because:
1. Its Simple
2. It's so quick to make
3. Its so tasty and versatile.
4. ITS A GIANT FLUFFY PANCAKE!

So put on some great music, get your ingredients ready and be prepared for a fun breakfast experience.


Ingredients:
serves 2

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk (any kind of milk of choice)
  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1-2 cups of fresh fruits of choice
  • 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar or maple syrup or honey (Optional) (Well you could put all of them, but I suggest you pick only one. Haha!)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (Optional) 
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven at 245C/475F and place an oven skillet or baking dish inside.
  2. Whisk eggs until light.
  3. Mix in milk into eggs
  4. Add flour and salt gradually into egg and milk mixture.
  5. Melt 2 tablespoon of butter into hot baking dish/oven skillet and make sure its coated all round.
  6. Pour batter into hot skillet and immediately return into the oven.
  7. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown and puffed.
  8. Serve on large plate.

At this point you can fill it with your summery fruits of choice and drizzle with all the yumminess of choice.

For my Dutch Baby I put strawberries, grapes and sliced banana. I put on 1 tablespoon of quark (for non-Europeans, quark is a sort of Greek yogurt). I then sprinkled some cinnamon and drizzled honey. It was so yummy.




What did you put on you Dutch Baby?

Xx

Rati 

No comments:

Post a Comment