Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Breakfast: Baked Oatmeal


Oatmeal is one of my most favorite healthy super-foods. It is so diverse when it comes to baking and cooking with it. As a college student, Baked-Oatmeal is a gift. I get so busy as soon as Monday comes around. The week just flashes by and before I know it, it's Friday. So to keep myself eating healthy throughout the week, I plan out the week's grocery shopping and I roughly plan out my eating plan during the weekend. (Well, at least I try to most of the time.)  That is why Baked-Oatmeal is an ideal recipe for a tasty, healthy, whole and quick breakfast for the mornings. I personally cook it on Sunday evenings and keep it in the fridge in an airtight container. Throughout the week, some mornings I take a serving,
(or two when I am really hungry), or I pack it up to eat later in the morning.


This recipe is really diverse. You can get creative and add different kinds of fresh fruits ,nuts and dried fruits that you desire. One of the best things about this recipe is that it is sugar-free and wheat-free but still so satisfying.

Ingredients:
Yields 6 Servings
  • 1 ripe Banana 
  • 1 Apple
  • 2 Cups Oatmeal
  • 1/3 Cup Mixed Nuts and Raisins
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/3 Cup Honey (Add more or less depending on your desired sweetness)
  • 3 tbsp Butter
  • 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
  •  1/2 tsp Sea Salt
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 1/2 Cups Water
Instruction:
  1. Preheat Oven at 180C or 375F.
  2. Grease a deep baking dish. (My dish is an 8 inch square dish).
  3. Mix the oatmeal, sea salt, 1/2 the cinnamon and baking powder in a bowl.
  4. In a separate bowl whisk together the melted butter, honey, water, egg and vanilla extract.
  5. Slice the banana and apple. Line the bottom of the greased dish with first the banana, then the apple on top. If your dish is larger, use more bananas or apples needed to properly line the dish.
  6. Sprinkle the other half of the cinnamon on top of the layer banana and apple base.
  7. Pour the mixed dry ingredients over the banana and apple base. Use a fork to properly distribute the oat mixture in the dish.
  8. Pour the wet mixture over the oats in the dish. Use a folk to properly distribute the liquid in the dish.
  9. Sprinkle the rest of the nut and raisin mixture over the top
  10. Place the disk in the oven for about 35-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
  11. Let it cool down for 5 minutes, then serve!
Before:


After:



I hope you enjoy this Baked Oatmeal recipe as much as I do. I had a serving this morning with a cappuccino, a banana and an apple for breakfast. It was so delicious :D.



How do you eat your Baked Oatmeal?

Let me know how you it was for you.


Xx

Rati

No comments:

Post a Comment