Monday, February 11, 2013

Chickpea Veggie Burger

Lately I've been craving a BIG, TASTY and YUMMY burger! But I do not like eating fast food burgers. Or fast food in general. I remember about two years ago I ate a McDonald's chicken burger. The burger, I must admit, tasted pretty amazing. Then after I was done eating, I flipped over the food tray sheet to see the calorie information and I saw that the one burger I had eaten was over 800 calories!!! AAAHH! I was kind of disgusted. So you can imagine my excitement when I discovered the veggie burger. Firstly because I really do love beans and vegetables, its filled with lots of healthy nutrients and secondly because it really just TASTES. SO. GOOD!* 

I have shared the recipe of the Black Bean Veggie Burger Patty on a previous post. You can find the recipe by clicking here. The changes I made were that I used Chickpeas instead of Black Beans and I also baked the burger patty instead of frying it. 


Here is the recipe for the rest of the burger:



Ingredients:

  • 1 handful of Spinach
  • 1 handful Bean Sprouts
  • 1/2 cup of cherry Tomatoes
  • 1/2 medium Onion
  • 1/2 tsp Olive Oil
  • 1/2 tsp Sriracha hot sauce (optional)
  • Spices of choice (Curry, Parsley, pepper, tumeric, etc...)(optional)
  • 1 whole wheat burger bun
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • 1 Chickpea Veggie Patty


Instructions for Burger sauce:

  1. Place olive oil in a non stick pan on the stove
  2. Cook the onions until translucent
  3. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and add them to the cooking onions
  4. Add the spices and salt to the tomatoes and onions
  5. cook sauce until its not too watery
Putting the burger together:
  1. Try to time you cooking such that you complete the cooking of your sauce and burger patty at the same time.
  2. Place the sauce on the whole wheat burger bun
  3. Add the chickpea patty on top, as well as the bean sprouts and the spinach
  4. Your burger is done and ready to be eaten!
 The sauce will keep the burger nice and juicy. The whole meal is just so tasty and filling. Trust me!

If you are really hungry you can make some Baked Sweet Potato Fries to accompany the burger or to make a delicious Salad on the side.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

Let me know how you like it.

Xx

Rati :)

*I feel I have to point out that I really do not believe in people counting calories, however I do believe people should be aware of what they eat and how that fuels their body. A good awareness of the caloric and nutrient content of food will help you make conscious healthy decisions in the food you eat. Also, remember that 800 calories of fruits and vegetables in one sitting is definitely better for your body than 800 calories of candy in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment